"When we are called to our life’s purpose we are called not as we are but to become who we can be."
"The body is 'our primary text and starting point for knowledge'." Rountree, 2006
"Restoring energetic boundaries and innate defensive and protective strategies that have been thwarted and immobilized."
SOMATIC ATTACHMENT PSYCHOTHERAPY TWO YEAR TRAINING
MARCH 2023 ONLINE COHORT – 6 spots left
Early relational experiences forge a neurophysiological and psychological template of self, often creating insecure attachment which distorts the development of self and impacts relational functioning throughout the lifespan. Corresponding affect management strategies and attachment patterns, accompanied by dysregulation of the Autonomic Nervous System (ANS), impact one’s self perceptions, world and identity. This legacy of trauma deeply impacts the integrity of the self, creating a split between psyche, body and spirit. Therapists are called to facilitate shifting of affect management strategies, attachment patterning, and support the maturation and development of complex right brain functioning to heal relational trauma, including insecure attachment, PTSD, and chronic shame, rather than merely working with symptom reduction. This training responds to this call and offers an immersive educational experience to deepen embodiment and capacity as therapist.
Throughout the 6, 4 day clinics (24 days of training) we delve into the theoretical and conceptual understandings of: the interconnected realms of embodied and imaginal somatic and interpersonal/relational psychodynamic principles and practices; clinical understandings and application of attachment research, speciﬁcally from the Adult Attachment Interview; emergent neuroscience research; trauma studies; embodiment studies and practices, and; earth-based wisdoms. Materials are presented using interactive lecture, discussions, demonstrations, experiential exercises, and coached practice sessions where participants will have opportunities to put the material into practice in a supported learning environment. Twelve group case consultations to further integrate the material into clinical practice are offered over the two year training to further deepen practice, understanding, and integration.
This training requires a graduate degree in a mental health discipline. It is rigorous in both academic and experiential learning. Maximum 24 students.
FEES: 1075 per clinic (6 clinics 6450), includes gst
DATES: March 9 – 12, June 22 – 25, October 26 – 29, 2023, Year two tba
OVERVIEW OF CURRICULUM
- Increase embodiment and deepen therapeutic ways of knowing
- Understand and embody the relational importance of empathy, attunement, resonance, and connection
- Create a living understanding that weaves together: attachment and attachment repair, trauma research, interpersonal neurobiology, affect regulation, relational practice, embodiment, and eco-consciousness
- Understand the intersection of the Autonomic Nervous System (ANS), brain, attachment and trauma
- Utilize The Polyvagal Theory, neuroception, and window of arousal to recognize and apply in clinical practice
- Recognize the physiological underpinnings of psychological presentations
- Recognize and utilize somatic skills to address traumatic material
- Work to restore energetic boundaries and innate defensive and protective strategies that have been thwarted and immobilized by relational and incident trauma
- Explore and apply right hemispheric processing (sensation, sensory motor, emotion, image/imagination, symbolic/archetypal) to work with organisation, regulation, and integration of traumatic material
- Identify and understand different attachment patterning and life-span development
- Explore therapist attachment patterning and implications for practice
- Explore the sentient world for attachment regulation, resource, and repair
- Deepen understanding of attachment and attachment repair through therapeutic relationships
- Understand and work toward reparation of insecure attachment and shifting internal working models
- Explore vicarious saturation, traumatization and somatic countertransference
- Work with therapist self-disclosure in the context of attachment repair
- Recognize and work with patterns of dissociation, dissociative gaps, and survival self-care systems
- Increase and expand understanding of shame, chronic shame, and how to work with shame dynamics
- Explore collusion, relational ruptures, breaches, enactments, and their repair
- Understand addictions and mental health issues through a somatic, affect regulation and trauma lens
- Work with sexualized assaults/violence in childhood and adulthood
- Contextualize and work with intergenerational trauma, wisdom & teachings
- Understand and work with medical trauma and motor vehicle collisions
TO REGISTER: Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a conversation and receive registration materials
Follow us on facebook! Bringing the Body into Practice: Training for Therapists and Counsellors
CURRENT TRAINING DATES
FEBRUARY 2022 COHORT: February 2 – 5, 2023; May 25 – 28; October 12-15, 2023
MARCH 2022 COHORT: January 12 – 15, 2023; May 4 – 7, 2023; September 14 – 17, 2023